Can British academic titles be added to resident permits?

An applicant for an Art 50 EUVAufenthaltstitel "Artikel 50 EUV" The Aufenthaltstitel "Art 50 EUV" is a residency title to be issued to British citizens from the end of the transition period. Its name is derived from Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union. The "Titel" refers to the document or card itself, and not the right, or permission that it confirms. card asked whether their British university degrees could be added to appear on their residency card. They received a response that in light of the fact that the United Kingdom is no longer in the EU and EEAEEA The European Economic Area (EEA) consists of the 27 EU Member States as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. The United Kingdom is not part of the EEA., academic titles (as regulated in Article 88 of the Universities Act 2002) can no longer be entered in the official documents.

people in black academic dress standing on green grass field during daytime

On a related note, the website of the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research advises that existing university degrees remain valid in Austria and the UK. However, professional qualifications obtained in the UK needed for regulated professions in Austria now require nostrification to allow admittance to a trade.

Legal Basis:

§ 88 Universitätsgesetz 2002 – use of academic titles (covers pre- and post-nominal titles)

Other Links

Was this content useful?


By Michael Bailey

Naturalised Austrian born in SW England, studied in Scotland and living in Austria since 2000.