Forum Brexit-related Austrian driving licence

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      London27London27
      Participant
        Up
        Down
        ::

I would like to know if it’s possible to apply to convert my UK licence to an Austrian one WITHOUT the Anmeldebescheinigung? I have been waiting over a year since submitting the original application for residence to the MA35 and still nothing. As the end of year deadline is approaching, I am worried about getting an Austrian licence in time.

keithjdKeith Davies
        Keymaster
          Up
          Down

I have submitted my application and paid for it but I too am waiting for my permanent residency. The Tulln office (Lower Austria) would not change it.

keithjdKeith Davies
          Keymaster
            keithjdKeith Davies
            Keymaster
              Up
              Down

Hi London27 if you don’t get anywhere you could always try logging it on SOLVIT – https://ec.europa.eu/solvit/index_en.htm

London27London27
              Participant
                Up
                Down

This is a useful link which I may use if all else fails. Thank you Keith for passing it on.

mikeMichael Bailey
                Keymaster
                  Up
                  Down

This question was asked at the Embassy Q&A last week – still waiting for them to give a response though.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by mikeMichael Bailey. Reason: typos corrected
                  London27London27
                  Participant
                    Up
                    Down

Thank you. I hope we will get all the answers to the questions asked last week published soon.

mikeMichael Bailey
                      Keymaster
                        Up
                        Down

A lot of the questions have been answered through either the blog post or the Facebook page. We are still collated all the Q&As into our FAQs.

keithjdKeith Davies
                      Keymaster
                        Up
                        Down

Good morning,

I have chased the Embassy up again today as they did not reply to the Q&A related to driving licenses.

I have also asked them whether we need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) from ÖAMTC if we have pending license exchanges come 1st January 2021. The .GOV.UK is also old and vague and states that we MAY require an IDP from a UK Post Office!

London27London27
                        Participant
                          Up
                          Down

Thank you Keith, for following up on this. It’s not even easy to even get to a UK post office right now (and get back to Austria without problems!) even if we need an IDP! I still haven’t got my Anmeldebescheinigung so this, the Artikel 50 card and the driving licence I will just have to tackle as they come up, whether this side of the New Year or after. At this point there seems to be no point in speculating, as there are so many grey areas.

keithjdKeith Davies
                          Keymaster
                            Up
                            Down

For those that don’t have access to Facebook I am posting the following OeMTC link which may be useful –

https://www.oeamtc.at/thema/fuehrerschein/auslaendischer-eu-und-ewr-fuehrerschein-in-oesterreich-16179194

keithjdKeith Davies
                            Keymaster
                              Up
                              Down

Picked up my Austrian driving license today. All the same categories as the UK except (B1 – Covered by B, C1, C1E, D1, D1E and P).
                              I can also drive a tractor (Category F) but given the size of the ones round here, think I will pass! 🙂

London27London27
                              Participant
                                Up
                                Down

Congratulations !! Did you have to do a practical driving test? I haven’t applied yet as I’m waiting for my Anmeldebescheinigung which I understand will make things a lot quicker/easier.

keithjdKeith Davies
                                Keymaster
                                  Up
                                  Down

Nope no test or anything. I submitted all the forms in October and once I got the Anmeldebescheinigung (finally last week), I sent them the details and I picked it up 5 days later. If I had wanted to keep all of my driving categories (e.g. lorry, minibus) I would have needed a medical. Basically we said just give me all the categories that I can have without the medical.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.