I exchanged my British driving licence for an Austrian one. Do I need to get my British licence back to drive in the UK?

Just as you can drive on a British licence in Austria if visiting for a short visit (e.g. a holiday), you can also drive in the UK on your Austrian licence if visiting (Source: gov.uk Living in Austria).

If you move back to the UK, you can continue to drive on your EU Member State driving licence until the age of 70, but if you move back to the UK you will have to exchange licences when you turn 70. (Source: gov.uk Exchange a Foreign Driving Licence)

Holders of British driving licences as at the end of the transition periodTransition Period The transition period (also referred to as the implementation period) is the period following the UK's departure from the European Union (on 31.01.2020) until the end of 2020. An option to extend this period has not been taken up by the UK government. (31.12.2020) had until 30 June 2021 to exchange their British driving licence for an Austrian one, if resident in Austria. Continuing to drive on a British licence under this circumstance is illegal and incurs heavy fines and may render insurance ineffective.
See also: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-austria#driving-in-austria

Was this content useful?