I am a resident in Austria since before 31.12.2020. I recently lost my job and am looking for work. Do I have to leave Austria?

From information published by the BMIBundesministerium für Inneres The Bundesministerium für Inneres (BMI) / Ministry for the Interior (UK counterparty: the Home Office) is competent for public security, policing, border control as well as residency and citizenships. It is also responsible for elections and direct democracy instruments as well as the civil service in the respective provinces, as well as municipal level where they are not covered by the Federal Chancellery. on 17.12.2020 – No, you do not have to leave Austria. From 01.01.2021 it will be necessary to apply for the “Art 50 EUVAufenthaltstitel "Artikel 50 EUV" The Aufenthaltstitel "Art 50 EUV" is a residency title to be issued to British citizens from the end of the transition period. Its name is derived from Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union. The "Titel" refers to the document or card itself, and not the right, or permission that it confirms.”. As was the case as a citizen of an EU Member State, in the case that you are not in employment you and your family must be able to afford to live in Austria without recourse to social assistance (money received from the AMSArbeitsmarktservice The Austrian Public Employment Service (AMS) is Austria’s leading provider of labour-market related services, and matches candidates with job openings and assists jobseekers and companies by providing advice, information, qualification opportunities and financial assistance. are not considered as social assistance, but as insurance-based funds) and have healthSozialministerium The Austrian Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection is responsible for the following fields: The health care system Initiatives for people with disabilities Consumer protection Public health and medical issues Care and support The rights of consumers and the protection of their health Senior citizens’ policy Social policy Social insurance insurance coverage. Unemployment benefit is also considered as means to support yourself since it is insurance-based funds rather than social assistance.

You can apply for the Art 50 EUV card until 31.12.2021, so it is possible to first of all find a job and then apply for the “Art 50 EUV” residency title. You are entitled to remain in Austria for the time until you make your application for the Art 50 EUV card.

Was this content useful?