I’m resident in another EU Member State. Can I come to work in Austria as a ski instructor?

I live in another EU Member State where I have residence, and wish to work in Austria, where I previously worked as a ski instructor. My ski school has stated I would need to become an Austrian resident to continue working in Austria? I have an Austrian sports instructor qualification and have worked 8 years in Austria.

Unfortunately to work in Austria now you would need to apply for an employment permit/visa. UK nationals are treated identically to other Third Country Nationals (3CNs3rd country nationals Third country nationals are citizens of non-EU/EEA countries. Residency and naturalisation procedures for third country nationals are more complicated than for citizens of EU Member States or EEA signatory states.). Your employer would need to contact the AMSArbeitsmarktservice The Austrian Public Employment Service (AMS) is Austria’s leading provider of labour-market related services, and matches candidates with job openings and assists jobseekers and companies by providing advice, information, qualification opportunities and financial assistance. for a work permit, and then you would apply for a type D visa through the Austrian Embassy in the country you are resident.

Ski qualifications received in Austria prior to Brexit will continue to be recognised by Austrian skiing authorities.

This question was adapted from a question raised at the British Embassy’s Outreach Q&A Session held on 23 September 2021. The full write-up of that event can be downloaded.

Was this content useful?