We’re expecting a child in 2021, how should we do the Art 50 EUV card application?

Based on having the necessary residency paperwork in place that proves your residence in Austria prior to 31 December 2020, the following applies in 2021. The BMIBundesministerium für Inneres The Bundesministerium für Inneres (BMI) / Ministry for the Interior (UK counterparty: the Home Office) is competent for public security, policing, border control as well as residency and citizenships. It is also responsible for elections and direct democracy instruments as well as the civil service in the respective provinces, as well as municipal level where they are not covered by the Federal Chancellery. advises that you will only need to have applied for the Art 50 EUVAufenthaltstitel "Artikel 50 EUV" The Aufenthaltstitel "Art 50 EUV" is a residency title to be issued to British citizens from the end of the transition period. Its name is derived from Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union. The "Titel" refers to the document or card itself, and not the right, or permission that it confirms. card yourself/yourselves. You will be issued with a Bescheinigung über die AntragstellungBescheinigung über die Antragstellung When applying for the Art 50 EUV card, you will be given a certificate, the Bescheinigung über die Antragstellung (Bestätigung des Antrags) that confirms your legal residence until your Art 50 EUV card is issued. that says you have applied, and which confirms your legal entitlement to stay in Austria until the actual Art 50 EUV card is issued.

You will then have to apply for a residence permit for your child in the same way as you apply for yourself – and will have until 31 December 2021 to do so (according to the Brexit-DVBrexit Durchführungsverordnung The Brexit Durchführungsverordnung (Brexit Implementation Regulation) is the Regulation/ordinance in Austrian law that will cover issues about residency for British citizens after the end of the transition period. that covers the residency title of British citizens living in Austria as of 31.12.2020).

Your child’s application will require:

  • A copy of their birth certificate (you would be well advised to get an international birth certificate issued, and to have two copies done of it when you register the birth)
  • A passport photo
  • A British passport for your child

Other information about new babies can be found on https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/themen/familie_und_partnerschaft/geburt.html

Was this content useful?