During 2021, the following healthSozialministerium The Austrian Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection is responsible for the following fields: The health care system Initiatives for people with disabilities Consumer protection Public health and medical issues Care and support The rights of consumers and the protection of their health Senior citizens’ policy Social policy Social insurance insurance solutions have proven to acceptable for applications as a “privatier” for the Article 50 EUV cardAufenthaltstitel "Artikel 50 EUV" The Aufenthaltstitel "Art 50 EUV" is a residency title to be issued to British citizens from the end of the transition period. Its name is derived from Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union. The "Titel" refers to the document or card itself, and not the right, or permission that it confirms..
There are three main options:
Austrian State Healthcare
The Austrian State Health Self Insurance scheme (ÖGK Selbstversicherung) which costs approximately EUR 478.82 (2023 value) per month is approved, provided there is no 6-month wait. There is a 6 month wait if you are unable to prove UK NI payments in the last 6-12 months (e.g CA3916) and you also need a Legislation Letter from the UK to prove that the NHS is no longer responsible for your care (not applicable for S1).
If you are over the age of 65, this is likely to be your best option.
- This may take time to set up and is reliant on information from the UK
- Discounts are available and there are options to add family members.
The only publicly available list of approved healthcare providers is the one provided by the City of Vienna which may not be the latest (i.e. some policies listed may no longer be valid). It lists policies from the following insurance companies: Generali, Wiener Städtische, Uniqa, Allianz, Care Concept, Donau Versicherung.
The Care Concept policy is one that can be purchased on-line and is called Care Austria 364 and can be purchased direct from Care Concept DE or from brokers. Some of the Uniqa policies can also be purchased directly via Feelsafe.
For the other providers you will need to contact an insurance broker.
From feedback from BiAthe Facebook groups Britishinaustria.net draws upon its two Facebook groups as a source of questions to address in FAQs or to refer to the authorities or to request clarification from government ministries or HM British Embassy. These groups can be found at: British in Austria: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BritishAustria British in Europe ~ Austria: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BritishinAustria group members the following criteria apply to these policies:
- It must be for permanent residency (NOT a Visa Policy)
- It can’t mention the words “travel insurance”/ “Reiseversicherung”
- There must be no waiting period and no exclusions.
- Coverage must be similar to OeGK.
- It must be known to be accepted by MA35Magistratsabteilung 35 Residency and citizenship issues in Vienna are handled by Magistratsabteilung 35 (MA35). It has several offices in Vienna and where you need to go depends on whether or not you are an EU citizen (you go to one or other of its EU Referat offices depending on the district you live in), or its premises for third country nationals..
- Some of these providers may be restrictive on ages and pre-existing conditions.
- Some of these policies may be 3-year minimum terms.
For those in receipt of a UK State pension, the S1 route should be explored which means the NHS covers the cost. Posted workers also have options here.
If you or your family are an employee or former employee of a special organisation (e.g. UN, OPEC) then your Cigna policy is also likely to be accepted.
Those who are unemployed are covered by AMSArbeitsmarktservice The Austrian Public Employment Service (AMS) is Austria’s leading provider of labour-market related services, and matches candidates with job openings and assists jobseekers and companies by providing advice, information, qualification opportunities and financial assistance. and for those on SVS (self-employed) coverage is also provided by OeGK.
Last Update: 21st March 2023