Reply To: Buying property in Austria as a third country citizen?

Forum Living in Austria Housing and Property Buying property in Austria as a third country citizen? Reply To: Buying property in Austria as a third country citizen?

stevepatriarcastevepatriarca
Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful responses. We are now at the Grundbuch stage but so far there are no indications of problems, although they asked for our marriage certificate (my spouse is Austrian). Our lawyer seems well informed and we had no problem with the Erklärung to the local authority in Bad Sauerbrunn. They were polite and quick and were not concerned with nationality, only that we did not use the house as a “holiday” or “weekend” home. It suits us that the local council does not want the town taken over by weekenders who will undermine its long term financial and cultural stability. My only concern is whether the federal Government communicates effectively with the provincial and district governments and whether they understand the implications of the WA for property rights. For long term security I like to know that I own half a property in my own right and not only because my spouse is Austrian. Above all it is critical that there is clarity, as I stated in my first post if your lawyer or Notar has to seek answers from the authorities then you have to pay for his time.