Forum Article 50 EUV cards ETIAS for Art 50 card holders

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      KeenskierKeenskier
      Participant
        Up
        Down
        ::

Towards the end of 2022 – and by Jan 1st 2023 at the latest – British travellers to the EU will require ETIAS visa waivers. To apply for the ETIAS, travellers will need to supply details of previous trips to Europe, certain health issues and more. Without an approved ETIAS, airlines and ferry companies will be obliged to refuse boarding to British passport holders. So far, so straightforward for the vast majority of British citizens living in the UK and looking to take a short trip to Europe.

But what about British citizens who are Art. 50 card holders? As residents in the EU (in whichever EU country) we should not require an ETIAS waiver – and as I understand it, the ETIAS waiver can only be applied for from a UK address anyway. In anticipation of problems arising, is there any clarity or awareness of the potential issues – not only for British in Austria, but also Brits in other EU countries?

– Is it correct that Art 50 card holders will NOT require a ETIAS waiver? (I can see nothing about this on the EC website, which contains information about the scheme as it was designed to operate in 2016, i.e. before Brexit).
        – Are the airlines/ferry companies being made aware of this? (see e.g. the recent confusion in the UK around passport rules for Schengen).
        – Are the border agencies throughout Europe going to be aware of the rights of Art 50 card holders?
        – Might the situation arise that Art 50 card holders entering Schengen through a country other their country of residence might be refused boarding or entry without a ETIAS? – e.g. someone resident in Austria flying from the UK to Munich en route to their home in AUT.

keithjdKeith Davies
        Keymaster
          Up
          Down

We have had confirmation from the EU Commission that Article 50 holders in Austria are exempt from both ETIAS and EES. As to what the airlines and border agencies are doing I cannot comment. I believe ETIAS also does not apply to Third Country Nationals who hold valid residence permits. See Article 2, section 2. – https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32018R1240&from=EN

KeenskierKeenskier
          Participant
            Up
            Down

Thank you for confirming the official position.

Having seen first hand the issues that arose with the question of the validity of UK passports for entry into Schengen (because of the incorrect information being given by the UK government and being applied by some airlines), and also the confusion around Passenger Locator Forms which resulted in people being incorrectly denied boarding, my concern is really about having the confidence that every Agency and carrier has the correct information. Perhaps this could be raised at a future meeting with the Embassy and Austrian authorities.

keithjdKeith Davies
            Keymaster
              Up
              Down

As and aside, we did contact the EU Commission recently regarding this issue and this was the response:
              “The Europa website will be updated with further details on EES and ETIAS. In addition, there will be a website on ETIAS run by FRONTEX.
              These websites will be available before the Entry into Operations of EES and ETIAS.”

keithjdKeith Davies
              Keymaster
                Up
                Down

Here’s some official links for EES and ETIAS (due to launch sometime on 2024) https://travel-europe.europa.eu/index_en
                and who does not need to apply for ETIAS – https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias/who-should-apply_en#who-does-not-need-an-etias-travel-authorisation

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.