Forum Brexit-related Health Insurance

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      keithjdKeith Davies
      Keymaster
        Up
        Down
        ::

I have applied for ÖGK Selbstversicherung (State Health Self Insurance) but my request seems to be stuck in “Computer Says Wait” mode – Austrian Health Authorities have made 2 requests electronically via EESSI to UK; HMRC say they have not received the requests.

In the meantime does anybody know of a full list of Private Health Insurance Products that are accepted by the Austrian Immigration Authorities.

There is this list from MA35

https://www.wien.gv.at/verwaltung/einwanderung/ahs-info/pdf/krankenversicherungen-englisch.pdf

This does not seem comprehensive enough, they seem old and expensive.

The Austrian Authorities have an internal list but they will not share this.

What I found so far is

a) Allianz Visitor Insurance 1804 – NOT Accepted by Austrian Authorities.
        b) Care Concept – They seem to restrict who they will take on.

mikeMichael Bailey
        Keymaster
          Up
          Down

Will see if I can find out through a contact.

keithjdKeith Davies
          Keymaster
            Up
            Down

Thank you!

I had a search around the Facebook forums yesterday and the only ones I could see mentioned were Care Concept, Generali and SVS/SVA.

I’m currently checking the Cigna policies with the authorities, BDAE also looks promising (https://www.bdae.com/en/private-clients/product-finder)

mikeMichael Bailey
            Keymaster
              Up
              Down

One option could be “Selbstversicherung” through SVA/SVS – one user in the facebook group has been looking at that approach:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BritishAustria/permalink/4685945444813153

keithjdKeith Davies
              Keymaster
                Up
                Down

The only issue with that might be the same problem I am having with ÖGK. ÖGK requests information from the HMRC via EESSI (electronically), HMRC denies receiving it. Until ÖGK receives the information, they won’t do anything. I have logged this on SOLVIT and the British Embassy in Austria

In my case I have requested form CA3916 from HMRC myself (in the post apparently) and a letter from NHS Business Services Authority saying I am no longer “insured” with the NHS in the UK (received today).

Fingers crossed ÖGK will move their position tomorrow as I have already provided them with other background material (e.g. letter from my GP and NI summary)

keithjdKeith Davies
                Keymaster
                  Up
                  Down

That’s a lovely thought isn’t it and I thought the same!

The reality of the situation is that you can apply for it online, you can check progress online on your Personal Tax account -https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account. Approximately 2 weeks after submission, it looks like it is done but it is not in your electronic messages.

You ring up HMRC, they say it is done and then tell you it is in the post and I am still waiting.

They tell you at HMRC if it doesn’t arrive in 10 days ring them up again.

keithjdKeith Davies
                  Keymaster
                    Up
                    Down

There’s a moral to the story here I think.

a) Before you arrive in Austria check your National Insurance contributions and try to at least make up recent shortfalls – Takes a couple of weeks to show up.
                    b) Move to Austria and get your Meldezettel
                    c) Tell HMRC and NHS Business Services that you have moved to Austria and give them your new address
                    d) Apply for your CA3916 from HMRC and a letter from NHS Business Services saying you are no longer registered with NHS in UK
                    e) Then apply to ÖGK after a few weeks.

keithjdKeith Davies
                    Keymaster
                      Up
                      Down

The Department that deals with NHS Overseas Healthcare (non S1 related) is NOT contactable by phone on +44(0)191 218 1999 as it is a Backoffice Department. You can only send them emails on nhsbsa.ohsregistrations@nhs.net

keithjdKeith Davies
                      Keymaster
                        Up
                        Down

Just for reference a CA3916 from HMRC takes at least 2 weeks to be produced and can take 4 weeks to be posted.

keithjdKeith Davies
                        Keymaster
                          Up
                          Down

OK the trick seems to be that you email NHS Business Services Authority on nhsbsa.ohsregistrations@nhs.net and ask for an Overseas Legislation Letter Certificate to say that the UK is longer responsible for your healthcare and it MUST have a date on it to say when they stopped being responsible. For expediency ask them to securely email it to you. You then send this to ÖGK and things start to move.

perrigauxperrigaux
                          Participant
                            Up
                            Down

I am 67 and have lived in Vienna for 4 years. I’m worried about health insurance provision after Brexit. Any advice would be very welcome. Today I made my MA35 appointment. Thank you

keithjdKeith Davies
                            Keymaster
                              Up
                              Down

Hi,

I am not an expert in these matters but you could look at the following website – https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-austria

If you are 67 (UK pension age), you lived in the UK and paid taxes in the UK you should look at the section that deals with “UK-funded healthcare: getting and using an S1 form in Austria”.

Hope this helps!

perrigauxperrigaux
                              Participant
                                Up
                                Down

Hello Keith thank you. I found the S1 thing but found it vague and wasn’t sure it applied. It’s all very confusing !

keithjdKeith Davies
                                Keymaster
                                  Up
                                  Down

Your best bet is to call NHS Overseas Healthcare Services on Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999 and ask them if it applies to you. You will need to give them your UK National Insurance Number. They deal with S1’s and EHIC cards.

keithjdKeith Davies
                                  Keymaster
                                    Up
                                    Down

Forgot there is also the HMRC NI :Non UK Resident Team who are also quite helpful if they can be – +44 191 203 7010

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-enquiries-for-non-uk-residents

perrigauxperrigaux
                                    Participant
                                      Up
                                      Down

Thank you Keith you are most kind I will pursue both ut the last time I called about the S1 I got passed around in a never ending loop

keithjdKeith Davies
                                      Keymaster
                                        Up
                                        Down

No worries! I got given the runaround by NHS Overseas Healthcare Services too initially but S1’s should definitely fall within their remit. It may depend on your NI contributions which is why you should probably need to check with HMRC.

If you get the runaround from NHS Overseas Healthcare Services their complaints email address is nhsbsa.ohscomplaints@nhs.net.

The key thing is that HMRC need to have your up to date address details.

perrigauxperrigaux
                                        Participant
                                          Up
                                          Down

Goodness…success ! I called the number for S1s and this time got straight through to a very kind operative. Apparently my S1 was already issued at the time I claimed my pension but I have no idea where that went ! They are sending me a copy to my Vienna address ! Do you know what I do with it once it’s here, where I take it ? Many thanks again Keith ! What a relief !

keithjdKeith Davies
                                          Keymaster
                                            Up
                                            Down

Well Done!

Some of the people on the NHS Overseas Services Helpline are helpful some are not. The information on the .gov.uk website says the following:

“How to use an S1 form in Austria

You must register your S1 form with the state health insurance fund (called ‘Österreichische Gesundheitskasse’ in German).

Once registered, you’ll be given a card called an ‘e-card’. This shows that you’re entitled to healthcare on the same basis as an Austrian citizen.”

As you are in Vienna I would call up the ÖGK in Wien and ask them what to do

Österreichische Gesundheitskasse Wien
                                            Wienerbergstraße 15-19
                                            1100 Wien

Tel.: 05 0766-11
                                            Fax: 05 0766-113003
                                            E-Mail:office-w@oegk.at

https://www.gesundheitskasse.at/cdscontent/?contentid=10007.852097&portal=oegkwportal

The post from the UK takes around a week but we are getting close to Xmas. If you don’t receive your S1 by post then ask the NHS Overseas Services Helpline if they can send it to you via NHS secure email (egress).

Good luck and take care!

perrigauxperrigaux
                                            Participant
                                              Up
                                              Down

I will have to mail them as I called them and no one appears to speak English there !

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.