Forum Article 50 EUV cards Maintaining Residency

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      mrcmrc
      Participant
        Up
        Down
        ::

What are the rules about length of periods of absence from Austria which are allowed, or indeed combined periods of absence, before the 10 year Article 50 Card is at risk?

Is the rule a total amount of absence over the 10 year period which must not be exceeded in order to receive renewal.

Thank you in advance for any information that you may be able to provide.

keithjdKeith Davies
        Keymaster
          DavidK_ViennaDavidK_Vienna
          Participant
            Up
            Down

Hi,
            I have the 10 year Article 50 card and was wondering what you must do to maintain residency.

My situation is that I may need to return to the UK for potentially a number of years.

Before the 5 year absence time period must I on re-entering Austria register an address (meldezettel)? Or is it simply enough to enter the country to reset the 5 year absence period?
            I not been able to find the criteria on any of the websites.

Thanks very much in advance.

keithjdKeith Davies
            Keymaster
              Up
              Down

Firstly with a 10 year card you are allowed a 5 year CONTINUOUS absence. That means you can be away from Austria for up to 5 years without losing your residence rights. I have not actually seen it documented what you need to do to maintain this residence, however I do believe the EU were meant to clarify it. If it is of any consolation there was a recent case that went to European Court of Justice that relates to Austria (Long Term resident Third Country National) and they found it was sufficient to come back for a few days. We will get this clarified: https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2022-01/cp220010en.pdf

keithjdKeith Davies
              Keymaster
                Up
                Down

The information from the team at British in Europe is that “It is sufficient to come back for just a few days.” The European Commission are due to publish guidelines on this issue, but have not done so yet! The British in Europe team have seen a draft.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.