Forum Brexit-related NOVA car tax for registration of UK car

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Cat44Cat44
      Participant
        Up
        Down
        ::

Hi folks, I imported my hybrid 2013 volvo with me when I moved here about 2 months ago. I sorted all the customs paperwork and did not pay customs duties as it was a relocation. I got a Pickrl and got it inspected (though they said I needed new headlights so trying to sort that). However big problem is the NOVA tax since they said since my car was first registered in a third country they cannot accept the CO2 measurements on my documents, as they are not WLTP ones (more recent) and they use a formula based on engine size. This increases the NOVA from 0 euros to 12000!!! Probably then I’ll need to drive my car back to the UK and get a new one here which is expensive and a huge pain. Anyone else experienced this? Is there an argument that the car was first registered in the EU (as uk was in eu in 2013?). Any help much appreciated, I had quite a shock in the tax office!!

keithjdKeith Davies
        Keymaster
          Up
          Down

I actually asked the OeMTC legal team regarding the fact that the UK was formerly an EU member and the response was that it’s the facts in evidence at the time of the import that counts. Basically you’d need a very good lawyer to try and argue that one.

“„Das Vereinigte Königreich hat mit Ablauf des 31. Jänner 2020 (Übergangsperiode bis 31. Dezember 2020) die Europäische Union verlassen, womit es nunmehr als Drittland anzusehen ist. Alle Kraftfahrzeuge, die aus diesem Gebiet importiert werden (unabhängig vom Erstzulassungsdatum), sind daher der Rechtslage im Zeitpunkt der Tatbestandsverwirklichung zu unterwerfen.“

The two things you can maybe argue with them are:
          a) Get the manufacturers WLTP value for the vehicle. It’s not just about engine size, it’s about CO2 value and I would have thought a Hybrid should be lower.
          b) You need to get a proper valuation for the vehicle as they can be over valued in Austria

Did you not look at the Importing guide on the website before doing it – https://www.britishinaustria.net/motoring-in-austria/importing-a-vehicle-to-austria/

The only exception that one of our members found was when the vehicle was first registered in the EU and then subsequently re-registered in the UK

Cat44Cat44
          Participant
            Up
            Down

Dear Keith,
            Thanks for taking the time to look into this in more detail, and especially to contact OeMTC. Sorry for the late reply but I didn’t see the email about the post. These are very good suggestions about the value and the WLTP values. The problem is that WLTP standards did not come into effect until 2018 and my car was registered in 2013. However I have looked up all the CO2 values of the same vehicle type (old and new standards) since 2013. All the values are lower than the threshold which requires you to pay any tax, but I am not hopeful they will accept a value that is not for my exact car. I did look up the NOVA tax before I imported it but I didn’t realise the difference in the CO2 values and this is apparently very critical, unfortunately.

Thanks again for your help,
            Cat

keithjdKeith Davies
            Keymaster
              Up
              Down

Yes, I just looked it up and the WLTP did not come in until around September 2017, mandatory from September 2018. You really need to get Volvo to provide you with the figures to get anywhere. In addition given it’s a 10 year old car, you really need a proper estimate of a it’s current value and not the original cost.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by keithjdKeith Davies.
          Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.