I hold a passport of another EU Member State in addition to British citizenship. Do I need to get an Art 50 EUV card?

If you originally registered in Austria using a British passport, have not included your other nationality on your MeldebestätigungMeldezettel Austria requires everyone living in Austria (both Austrians and foreigners) to register their place(s) of residence with the local authorities. The confirmation of this registration is called a Meldebestätigung (EN: confirmation of registration), although it is […]

I am a long-term resident with an Austrian spouse. Will I have to change my residency paperwork?

Regardless of who you are married to, or how long you have been here before 2021, every British citizen must apply for either an Article 50 card, or for the more restrictive non-EU citizen residency permit before the end of 2021.

Why do I need to change my UK Driving Licence to an Austrian one?

If you are resident in Austria, you will need to exchange your UK driving licence for an Austrian one by 30 June 2021. Validity of licences with additional categories (e.g. for driving certain types of vehicle or pulling large trailers) that are issued in another EEAEEA The European Economic Area (EEA) consists of the 27 […]

When can I apply for my Art 50 EUV card?

Applications open in January 2021 (4 January due to public holidays and the weekend). While you can already book appointments in Vienna for January 2021, the application can be made at any time in 2021. Before the end of 2020, you must make sure that your current residency documents are in order.

I live in a neighbouring EU country and commute to Austria for work, what will I have to do?

British citizens holding permanent residence in a neighbouring country and working in Austria, commuting on a daily/weekly basis, in particular on cross-border contracts already classed as EU cross-border commuters, will continue to be recognised as such and won’t need work permits to continue this arrangement after 31 December 2020 as UK cross-border or “frontier” workers […]

I am due to marry an Austrian? Are there legal advantages to marrying sooner rather than later?

In terms of residency rights after the end of the transition periodTransition Period The transition period (also referred to as the implementation period) is the period following the UK’s departure from the European Union (on 31.01.2020) until the end of 2020. An option to extend this period has not been taken up by the UK […]