- If you have the Bescheinigung des DaueraufenthaltsBescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts für EWR Bürger This is the document you can apply for after 5 years' continuous and legal residency in Austria. It confirms that you have the right to permanent residency under EU rules as an EU citizen. It requires you to provide proof of residency, employment or sufficient financial resources, and all-risks medical and health insurance cover. Holders of this document are guaranteed the Article 50 EUV card via a quick and easy process in 2021. Note: British Citizens could only apply for the Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts until the end of the transition period (31.12.2020) then there is no problem – there is no income requirement.
- If you only have the AnmeldebescheinigungAnmeldebescheinigung Every EU citizen who intends to stay longer than 3 months, must apply for the Anmeldebescheinigung within 4 months of first arrival in Austria. This is essentially a snap-shot of your status at that time, and confirms you have fulfilled the conditions to stay in Austria for longer.
Your residence is still subject to certain rules.
Note: British Citizens could only apply for the Anmeldebescheinigung until the end of the transition period (31.12.2020) then:
- You may wish to strategically choose a time to apply when you or a family member do have a job, hoping that the labour market situation will improve during 2021. See next point.
- If one family member has a job (employed or self-employed; “real and genuine work”) for a minimum of 5.5 hours/week then there is no income requirement and you will all be able to obtain your Article 50 EUVAufenthaltstitel "Artikel 50 EUV" The Aufenthaltstitel "Art 50 EUV" is a residency title to be issued to British citizens from the end of the transition period. Its name is derived from Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union. The "Titel" refers to the document or card itself, and not the right, or permission that it confirms. cards. See Current freedom of movement rules below (#29).
- Again, it was stressed in the British Embassy meeting in October 2020 that this might seem harsh, but this is simply applying EU freedom of movement rules – it would also be the case without Brexit.
- A strategic application (timed to coincide with a period of work) when a person has found a job again, can help to speed up the process (as it is much easier for the authorities to prove entitlement to remain if somebody is currently employed).
Was this content useful?
Let us know if you found the content useful, even if the answer wasn't what you'd hoped for. That’s the only way we can improve.