I’m retired with a UK pension and I’m worried since my income is below the income requirement. Help me!

  1. Your UK pension will be considered as your income. If you have been here for more than 5 years than you can apply for the Bescheinigung des DaueraufenthaltsBescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts für EWR Bürger This is the document you can apply for after 5 years' continuous and legal residency in Austria. It confirms that you have the right to permanent residency under EU rules as an EU citizen. It requires you to provide proof of residency, employment or sufficient financial resources, and all-risks medical and health insurance cover. Holders of this document are guaranteed the Article 50 EUV card via a quick and easy process in 2021. Note: British Citizens could only apply for the Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts until the end of the transition period (31.12.2020) already in 2020 (if you haven’t already got it), then assuming you are successful, you will have peace of mind and be able to simply exchange that for your Article 50 EUV cardAufenthaltstitel "Artikel 50 EUV" The Aufenthaltstitel "Art 50 EUV" is a residency title to be issued to British citizens from the end of the transition period. Its name is derived from Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union. The "Titel" refers to the document or card itself, and not the right, or permission that it confirms. in 2021 (see #17). Even if your income is indeed too low, it would be too low to remain in Austria even without Brexit anyway (see #31). But you won’t have to up and leave as the authorities will examine the individual case. For example, having lived in Austria for the past 10 years or owning property in Austria would make a strong case for being allowed to continue living in Austria (under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights) even if the income requirements are not fulfilled.
  2. Regarding healthcare for pensioners – as long as you remain in the scope of the Withdrawal AgreementWithdrawal Agreement The Withdrawal Agreement sets out the terms of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU and provides for a deal on citizens’ rights. It sets out a transition period which lasts until 31 December 2020. During this time you can continue to live, work and study in the EU broadly as you did before 31 January 2020.   If you are resident in Austria at the end of the transition period, you will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, and your rights will be protected for as long as you remain resident in Austria.   Any rights that are not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement will be the subject of future negotiations.   https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-withdrawal-agreement-and-political-declaration  , your equal treatment rights to healthcare in Austria are protected after the end of the transition periodTransition Period The transition period (also referred to as the implementation period) is the period following the UK's departure from the European Union (on 31.01.2020) until the end of 2020. An option to extend this period has not been taken up by the UK government. (on the same basis as a comparable national of your country of residence).

Was this content useful?