What kinds of extra documentation requests have been received by applicants from MA35?

Some applicants have been asked to provide further documentation after their initial appointment with MA35Magistratsabteilung 35 Residency and citizenship issues in Vienna are handled by Magistratsabteilung 35 (MA35). It has several offices in Vienna and where you need to go depends on whether or not you are an EU citizen (you go to one or other of its EU Referat offices depending on the district you live in), or its premises for third country nationals. in Arndtstrasse (UnterlagenanforderungUnterlagenanforderung An Unterlagenanforderung is a communication from an authority processing the Art 50 EUV card requesting supplementary information to assist them in making a decision on your application.) to support their application. We are collecting feedback from applicants about this second stage, and will add to this question accordingly as new information becomes available. The following list is a compiled list of the requested extra documentation that we have been made aware of by applicants applying in Vienna:

  • Documentary proof of residence in Austria for the last 5 years (suggested items include purchase contracts for real estate, medical statements, utility bills, bank statements etc.)
  • A Bescheinigung des DaueraufenthaltsBescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts für EWR Bürger This is the document you can apply for after 5 years' continuous and legal residency in Austria. It confirms that you have the right to permanent residency under EU rules as an EU citizen. It requires you to provide proof of residency, employment or sufficient financial resources, and all-risks medical and health insurance cover. Holders of this document are guaranteed the Article 50 EUV card via a quick and easy process in 2021. Note: British Citizens could only apply for the Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts until the end of the transition period (31.12.2020) (requested from someone resident since prior to 1.1.2006, where they had ticked Daueraufenthaltsrecht, but no Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts had been submitted with their application).
  • Proof of insurance (in the case of someone privately insured holding a Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts as the subsequent checks by MA35 had thrown up a query due to their not being in the ÖGK/SVS system).
  • Copy of a valid passport (the applicant’s passport had expired between the appointment and the subsequent checks). Note: according to the Federal Chancellery Website, there is no requirement for a minimum remaining validity of six months as some people have been informed when applying in other parts of Austria.
  • A signature on the “Personalisierungsblatt” – in the hurry to get applications through, MA35 were not asking people to physically sign in front of them. Note: people receiving this request do however receive clarification about the length of card they will receive as it contains information about the validity of the card to be issued.
  • Parents applying for children of school age and student age have been requested to supply a number of documents: in the case of a young school pupil, confirmation that they are attending school (Schulbesuchsbestätigung) as well as school reports (Schulzeugnisse) since achieving school age. In the case of students, proof of social insurance cover (where held by the student themselves or if they were mitversichert), and proof that their parents are covering their living expenses.

Legal Basis for requesting further information:

Article 18 (k) – (n) of the Withdrawal Agreement

Was this content useful?