I am resident in Austria, and the rest of my family will move in 2021. What will we have to do?

Your core familycore family Direct and close family members. Spouse, registered partner, children under 21 (or over 21 if still dependent), dependent direct parents or grandparents; Adopted children are treated as natural children. members can join you at any time, provided your relationship already existed by 31.12.2020. Firstly, registration: Get their MeldebestätigungMeldezettel Austria requires everyone […]

Can my family members become right holders themselves?

Only someone who themselves have the right to residence in Austria can become right holders. That means that your spouse, who was working and living in Austria before the end of 2020, will in their own right be a right holderRight Holder This is the person who was resident in Austria before 2021 and in […]

I am not married or in a registered partnership, can my partner still come?

If you are in a so-called durable partnership and you partner was living in Austria before the end of the transition periodTransition Period The transition period (also referred to as the implementation period) is the period following the UK’s departure from the European Union (on 31.01.2020) until the end of 2020. An option to extend […]

I am a lawyer and Austrian law does not permit me to practice law as a third country national. What should I do?

Amendments of the Rechtsanwaltsordnung and the EIRAG (the law that allows “passporting” of lawyers) are currently in public consultation. The main thing to do at this time is to check that you are entered into the Liste der Rechtsanwälte or Liste der Rechtsänwaltsanwärter through your local Rechtanwaltskammer. Subject to a trade deal being signed between […]

What future prospects exist of Austria allowing dual citizenship?

Note: this relates to dual citizenship by naturalisation (durch Verleihung). Children of parents of two citizenships, of which one is Austrian (e.g. Austrian mother and British father) may now hold dual citizenship by descent (durch Abstammung). From September 2020 there has been the possibility for (re)acquiring citizenship by declaration (durch Anzeige) for the victims of […]

Do I need to change/update my proof of residence if my employment/educational circumstances change?

§51 (2) of the Settlement and Residence Act (NAGNiederlassungs- und Aufenthaltsgesetz The Niederlassungs- und Aufenthaltsgesetz (Residency and Settlement Act) is the Austrian law governing residency for foreign citizens in Austria.; Niederlassungs- und AufenthaltsgesetzNiederlassungs- und Aufenthaltsgesetz The Niederlassungs- und Aufenthaltsgesetz (Residency and Settlement Act) is the Austrian law governing residency for foreign citizens in Austria.) covers […]

From when does the five years legal residency start?

The background to this question was that there have been apparently divergent experiences about the 5-year qualification period for various British citizens in Austria in various provinces (from responses to questions in the Facebook groupsthe Facebook groups Britishinaustria.net draws upon its two Facebook groups as a source of questions to address in FAQs or to […]

What is a regulated profession?

A regulated profession is one where a qualification or certificate of proficiency is required. These include e.g.: healthSozialministerium The Austrian Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection is responsible for the following fields: The health care system Initiatives for people with disabilities Consumer protection Public health and medical issues Care and support The […]

What is nostrification?

Nostrification (Nostrifizierung) is the accreditation process of deeming a foreign degree to be equivalent to an Austrian one. This not only includes checking that your concluding your course ties in with completing an Austrian degree course, but also relates to the rights and obligations arising from holding a specific course of studies or a degree […]

Who qualifies for social assistance?

To summarise http://bit.ly/ATsocialassistance – mentioned in our flowchart about residence, unrestricted qualification for social assistance (Anspruch auf Leistungen der Sozialhilfe) for foreign citizens in Austria is only possible for citizens of EU Member States or EEA Signatory States who have a claim to social assistance or minimum benefits if they have been employed in Austria […]