What differences are there in UK S1 coverage depending on when I arrived in Austria?

Question: If I have my healthcare funded in Austria via the UK (e.g. Pensioner with a UK S1), is there a difference between the S1 coverage for those who move to Austria after 31 December 2020? Answer: NHS Overseas Healthcare Services makes a clear distinction between those that arrived in the EU on or before […]

Can non-EU spouses/registered partners of EU nationals move to Austria to live with them permanently?

Question: I am the non-EU spouse/registered partner of an EU national. Can I move to Austria and live with them permanently for more than 3 months? Answer Yes, provision under EU and/or Austrian national law exists for you to join them under family re-unification rules. Certain criteria apply regarding healthcare, income, etc. For spouses/registered partners […]

What does the (Austrian) EHIC card cover?

The Austrian EHIC card provides “medically necessary” treatment in state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland or the UK. The UK EHIC/GHIC card has similar coverage in Austria, but please remember it is NOT an acceptable policy for permanent residency purposes. Also when you become […]

I arrived in Austria after 31.12.2020, how long can I stay for?

As tourists, British citizens can stay in the Schengen AreaSchengen Area The Schengen Area is European border control-free travel area, consisting of all EU Member States except for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania, as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. (including Austria) for a total of up to 90 days in any 180-day […]

I’m resident in another EU Member State. Can I come to work in Austria as a ski instructor?

I live in another EU Member State where I have residence, and wish to work in Austria, where I previously worked as a ski instructor. My ski school has stated I would need to become an Austrian resident to continue working in Austria? I have an Austrian sports instructor qualification and have worked 8 years […]

What is the procedure for hiring a third country national in Austria?

Where an employer has non-resident, non-Austrian, non-EU candidates for vacancies, they have to do a number of things before they are actually able to employ from this group: They are required to place a job ad for all vacancies with the AMSArbeitsmarktservice The Austrian Public Employment Service (AMS) is Austria’s leading provider of labour-market related […]

Do work visas prospects for the winter season depend on what job you do?

British citizens not covered by the Withdrawal AgreementWithdrawal Agreement The Withdrawal Agreement sets out the terms of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU and provides for a deal on citizens’ rights. It sets out a transition period which lasts until 31 December 2020. During this time you can continue to live, work and study in the EU broadly as you did before […]

Where can I obtain assistance in English about various issues about living in Austria?

There are a number of services that provide advisory services in English, as follows: Austria (General & Students): Work in Austria Austria (Students): OeAD Lower Austria: Work in Lower Austria Upper Austria: Welcome to Upper Austria Salzburg: Welcome Service Styria (employees of members companies only): CINT – Club International Styria Carinthia : CIC – Carinthia […]

What legal consequences are there if you don’t exchange your UK driving licence?

What legal consequences exist if you don’t exchange your UK driving licence? Anyone resident in Austria has six months from establishing residence to exchange their UK driving licences for Austrian ones. This applies to citizens of all nationalities. This means that all UK citizens qualifying for the Art 50 EUVAufenthaltstitel "Artikel 50 EUV" The Aufenthaltstitel […]

What is the legal basis for the taking of fingerprints?

A number of British citizens in Austria have mentioned that they were surprised about fingerprints being taken when they applied for the Art 50 EUVAufenthaltstitel "Artikel 50 EUV" The Aufenthaltstitel “Art 50 EUV” is a residency title to be issued to British citizens from the end of the transition period. Its name is derived from […]