When can I convert my five year Article 50 card to a ten year one?

The BMIBundesministerium für Inneres The Bundesministerium für Inneres (BMI) / Ministry for the Interior (UK counterparty: the Home Office) is competent for public security, policing, border control as well as residency and citizenships. It is also responsible for elections and direct democracy instruments as well as the civil service in the respective provinces, as well as municipal level where they are not covered by the Federal Chancellery. has advised the following regarding the change from a 5 year Article 50 card to a 10 year card (DaueraufenthaltstitelDaueraufenthalt Daueraufenthalt simply means permanent residence. If you have permanent residence rights, usually from having been legally resident for 5 years, you are eligible for a 10 year residency permit.):

  • Conversion is possible as soon as you have completed the necessary qualifying period. The qualifying period is usually five years continuous legal residence. There is a shorter period for those retiring previously employed in Austria immediately prior to retirement.
  • The same fee applies as for an initial application (i.e. EUR 61.50 and any sighting fee levied (typically EUR 14.30)).
  • If you are applying for children, the fee is now EUR 26.30. The Ministry of Finance recently amended legislation regarding the fees that apply. Refunds can be applied for if you paid EUR 61.50 for the application for under 16s.
  • Applications to convert five year to ten year cards must be made BEFORE the five year card expires.

Source: British in Austria correspondence with BMI (May 2022) and follow-up in July 2022.

Was this content useful?