Types of Visas and Residency Permits

Tourist Visa Exemption
Permanent Residency Rights
Article 50 Residence Permit
Additional Assistance
Useful Links


The following provides a brief overview of the different types of Visa and Residency Permits that are available to British Nationals wanting to move to Austria or spend longer than 90 days here.

Please note that none of these permits allow you to live or work in any country other than Austria.

Tourist Visa Exemption

British Citizens have a Visa exemption from the EU for stays of up to 90 days in any 180 day period (throughout the Schengen AreaSchengen Area The Schengen Area is European border control-free travel area, consisting of all EU Member States except for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania, as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.). Please note that this does NOT allow you to work in Austria (even home working).

FAQ: I arrived in Austria after 31.12.2020, how long can I stay for?

Third Country National3rd country nationals Third country nationals are citizens of non-EU/EEA countries. Residency and naturalisation procedures for third country nationals are more complicated than for citizens of EU Member States or EEA signatory states. family members who are not British Citizens may have to apply for a Visa-C to enter Austria.

In 2023, systems called EES (currently scheduled for May 2023) and ETIASEuropean Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) The European Commission's proposed European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) is intended to strengthen security checks on those persons who travel visa-free to the EU, currently nationals from over 60 countries. The largely automated IT system will identify any security or irregular migratory risks posed by visa-exempt visitors travelling to the Schengen area, whilst at the same time facilitating crossing borders for the vast majority of travellers who do not pose such risks. Non-EU nationals who do not need a visa to travel to the Schengen area will have to apply for a travel authorisation through the ETIAS system prior to their trip. It is due to go live in May 2023. (currently scheduled for November 2023) will be introduced to more effectively monitor migration and travel in to the EU; this is mainly Schengen, includes Austria, but currently excludes Ireland.

Note: the European Commission has advised us that Article 50 card holders in Austria are exempt from EES and ETIAS.


For those wanting to stay in Austria for longer than 90 days or work/study there is the Visa-D which allows you to stay in Austria for up to 180 days.

It seems to come in a number of flavours including a Tourist Visa-D and Work Visa-D. The Austrian Authorities have advised us that a Tourist Visa-D does NOT allow you to work; this would include home working/remote working.

Details can be found from the Austrian Embassy in London and you will most probably be required to apply for it whilst in the UK.

For a Work Visa-D, you will first need an employer based in Austria who will act as your sponsor. We have an FAQ about the process for hiring a third country national in Austria.

Permanent Residency Permits

There are a number of different residency permits available for Austria and British Citizens who want to re-locate to Austria will have to apply for one, with some exclusions (e.g. Article 50 card for Austria,  Dual National). The table below provides a brief summary of the more common types of residency permit:

Red-White-Red CardThe Red-White-Red Card is issued for a period of 24 months and entitles you as the holder to fixed-term settlement and employment by the employer specified in your application. Note the fixed employer. Does not allow you to move between jobs without permission.
Red-White-Red Card PlusThis allows unlimited access to the labour market in Austria and can be applied for if you have worked for over 21 months whilst in the possession of a Red-White-Red Card
Family Re-unificationThese are special permits for family members. For further info, check out this FAQ.
Long-term Resident – EUSomeone who has lived in Austria for over 5 years can apply for this permit and it allows “limited” freedom of movement in the EU. It is understood that Article 50 holders can apply for this permit in addition to the Article 50 card (once they have qualified)
Settlement permit – gainful employment exceptedThis is for someone who wants to retire to Austria but does not want to work. Please note that these permits are in very short supply (typically single digit) and run out within the first hours/days of January. NOTE: Working is NOT allowed with this residency permit (including home working)
AufenthaltskarteIf you are married or a registered partner of an EU national who is also moving to Austria you can apply for an Aufenthaltskarte. It is unclear what work permissions this provides

Immigration.gv.at also has further information in English including the list of Very Highly Qualified Workers, Skilled Workers in Shortage Occupations, Other Key Workers, etc.

Please note that there are fees associated with these permits in addition to having an acceptable HealthSozialministerium The Austrian Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection is responsible for the following fields: The health care system Initiatives for people with disabilities Consumer protection Public health and medical issues Care and support The rights of consumers and the protection of their health Senior citizens’ policy Social policy Social insurance Insurance Policy (a UK EHIC/GHIC is not acceptable)

Article 50 Residency Permit

The Article 50 residency permit is only available for people who were legally resident in Austria prior to 31st December 2020. The deadline for initial applications for this permit was 31st December 2021.  This residency permit confers Withdrawal AgreementWithdrawal Agreement The Withdrawal Agreement sets out the terms of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU and provides for a deal on citizens’ rights. It sets out a transition period which lasts until 31 December 2020. During this time you can continue to live, work and study in the EU broadly as you did before 31 January 2020.   If you are resident in Austria at the end of the transition period, you will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, and your rights will be protected for as long as you remain resident in Austria.   Any rights that are not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement will be the subject of future negotiations.   https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-withdrawal-agreement-and-political-declaration   rights to the beneficiary and allows recipients to live, work, study in Austria and be treated “similar” to the EU nationals they were before Brexit. Please note that these rights are only available in Austria and do not include onward Freedom of Movement (FoM) rights, and also do not include things such as voting rights.

Note: Every British Citizen living in Austria from 1st January 2022 now either has to have an Article 50 card (or proof of applying) or one of the other residency permits above, regardless of how long they have been living in Austria.

Where to seek Additional Assistance

There are a number of regional advice services offering free advice to people who are wanting to relocate to Austria.

For those in Vienna there is also the newly opened Vienna Business Immigration Office which comes highly recommended.

help.gv.at General Information for Third Country Nationals

Migration Lawyers Vienna

help.gv.at Types of Visa for Austria

europa.eu EES

europa.eu ETIAS

Was this content useful?